Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Home Delivery

The weather today was less than favorable to receive a delivery of lumber and plywood. In anticipation of a nasty day today, the delivery in question was supposed to happen tomorrow. So when the phone rang and I learned that there was a delivery truck at the top of the driveway wary of the trip down, I wondered out loud why he was there at all. A night of sleet and freezing rain had made our driveway uninviting, and the driver was reluctant to give it a shot. When I hung up the phone, I understood that he'd come back tomorrow. But an hour later I heard a truck outside ready to dump its sodden load. I spent the rest of my morning getting thoroughly soaked while loading all the stuff into the garage.

This past weekend we had the Fernandez clan for a breakfast of crepes with raspberry maple syrup. We got together to talk about chickens. I know very little about raising chickens; my input was minimal. That left Michelle, with Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens under her belt but no practical experience, and Chris, with a history other people messing with his chicken raising method, to squabble over flock size and coop requirements. Another topic that morning was coming up with a name for our shared entry to Sis Porter Rd. Any drive way with more than one house needs its own street address. Anna suggested coming up with a name using all the first letters of our names. MMCCAANH. My favorite was MacManch. But just before I fell asleep one night it came to me-- Chicken Run. Apt, funny, easy to spell over the phone. Couldn't ask for more.

1 comment:

rodolph sheahan said...

Michael with the variety of animals, feathered AND furry, chickens, pigs, sheep, and maybe, etc., you could call itr Menagerie Lane